Tuesday 8 March 2011

Smoked mackerel kedgeree with broccoli

Smoked mackerel for dinner but no idea what to do with it that would be yummy and exciting (I usually put it in pasta with a creamy sauce, but had a creamy sauce last night).

Found the above recipe on the web. First hitch was that it required pilau rice, so looked for a pilau rice recipe.  Had the wrong type of rice (basmati required) and the wrong spices (no cardamom pods, cinnamon sticks or saffron threads) but did have ground fenugreek, coriander and cumin, so substituted.

For the main bit I had to sub spring onions for the bigger, rounder variety... but I was able to conjure up some hard boiled eggs.

VERDICT: The rice was absolutely delicious and I will definitely be doing that again and on the whole the dish was pretty good, but the smoked mackerel did overpower all the other flavours, so I can't say that I'd recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment